- 1 frozen deep-dish pie crust
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 12 ounces canned sliced pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut
1. Follow package directions for baking frozen deep-dish pie crust. Cool. Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, lemon zest and vanilla. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples, pineapple and dried cherries; stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until fruit is softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
4. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice, vanilla and coconut extract and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over fruit filling in pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut.