hile relleno bake, made with whole green chiles, cheese, ground beef and pork or chorizo, onion, and garlic.
* 1/2 pound ground beef
* 1/2 pound chorizo or other pork sausage
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
* 2 cans (4 ounces each) whole mild green chiles, drained and seeds removed
* 2 cups Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese mixture, divided
* 4 eggs
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* few dashes Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, brown sausage and ground beef, breaking meat up as it cooks. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender; drain well. Line a 9- x 9-inch square baking dish with half of the whole chiles; top with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Add browned meat mixture then top with remaining chiles; set aside. Beat together eggs and flour until smooth; add milk, salt, and Tabasco or cayenne pepper. Pour egg mixture over casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted around the center comes out clean. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the hot casserole. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice, refried beans, and a salad, if desired.