This chicken casserole is easy to prepare and makes a great everyday meal. Serve this baked chicken and spinach mixture with hot cooked pasta or rice and biscuits or warm crusty rolls.
* 16 ounces fozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
* 4 slices bacon, diced
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 4 green onions, with about 2 inches of green, thinly sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Dash garlic powder, optional
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 1/2 to 2 cups diced cooked chicken
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
* 3/4 cup finely shredded natural Parmesan cheese, about 3 ounces
Grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350°.
Sprinkle the well-drained spinach over the bottom of the casserole; set aside.
In a large skillet, fry the diced bacon until just crisp. With a slotted spoon transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium-low heat. Add the onions, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and basil; cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the flour until well incorporated. Add the chicken broth and cream, stirring until well blended. Stir in the chicken and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Sprinkle the drained bacon over the spinach, then pour the hot chicken mixture over all. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is lightly browned.