A chicken casserole with Mexican flavors.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
* 1 package small corn tortillas
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 4 ounces cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1 cup milk
* 1 small jar green taco sauce
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 2 cups cooked diced chicken
* 1 small can chopped green chili peppers
* 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or half Cheddar, half Monterey Jack
Cut or tear the corn tortillas into bite-size pieces; set aside. In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender. Remove mushrooms; set aside. Add flour to melted butter and stir until blended and smooth. Slowly, stirring constantly, add the milk to the saucepan, cooking until thickened and smooth. Return the cooked mushrooms to the sauce. Add taco sauce and chili powder to the mushroom sauce. In large shallow casserole dish make a layer of the tortilla pieces. On top of the tortilla pieces, place a layer of chicken pieces. Top chicken with chopped green chiles. Pour the sauce evenly over all and top with the shredded cheese. Refrigerate, covered, for a few hours before baking for best flavor.
Bake casserole for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Chicken taco casserole makes about 6-8 servings.