A wonderful blend of tangy and sweet makes a winning sauce for chicken and wild rice. Save time by leaving the apple wedges unpeeled; they’ll retain their shape better too.
2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
16 ounce can whole cranberry sauce
2 Tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 Tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon salt
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about two pounds total)
2 – 6 ounce packages long grain and wild rice mix
1. In a 3 ½ or 4 quart slow cooker combine apples and onion.
2. In a medium bowl combine cranberry sauce, lemonade concentrate, tapioca, honey, and salt.
3. Add chicken breasts, one at a time, to cranberry mixture, turning to coat.
4. Place chicken on top of apple mixture. Pour cranberry mixture over chicken.
5. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
6. In a large saucepan prepare long-grain and wild rice with seasoning packets according to package directions. Serve with chicken and sauce.