Jalapeno & Bacon Chicken Breasts
To keep that bacon nice and crisp make sure you sprinkle it on just before serving. Makes 6 servings.
6 medium bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds total), skinned and fat removed
1 Tablespoon chili powder
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup bottled pocked jalapeno Chile pepper slices, drained
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon cold water
8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened and cut into cubes
2 slices bacon or turkey bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
1. Sprinkle chicken with chile powder and salt. Place chicken, bone sides down, in a 4 ½ to 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Pour chicken broth and lemon juice around chicken in slow cooker. Top with chile pepper slices.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
4. Transfer chicken and chile peppers to a serving platter, reserving cooking liquid. Cover chicken with foil; to keep warm.
5. If using low-heat setting, turn to a high-heat setting.
6. For sauce, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and the cold water; stir into reserved cooking liquid in slow cooker.
7. Add cream cheese, whisking until combined. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until thickened.
8. Serve sauce with chicken. Sprinkle with bacon.