Polish Chocolate Plums
Polish Chocolate Plums are a simple recipe featuring dried plums, toasted almonds, and rich semi-sweet chocolate. This recipe is based on a traditional Polish sweet called Sliwka Naleczowska w Czekoladzie, but you can call them “delicious” in any language. This recipe yields 24 bite-sized candies.
* 24 dried plums (prunes)
* 24 whole almonds, toasted
* 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
* Crushed nuts for decorating (optional)
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set aside for now.
2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate until melted, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until the chocolate is smooth, and allow it to sit and cool slightly while you prepare the prunes.
3. Insert the almonds into the centers of the prunes, one nut per prune. I find it’s easier to use the tapered end of the nut to poke into the center of the prune. If you have difficulty, can use a paring knife to create a small hole for inserting the nut.
4. Use a fork or dipping tools to dip one of the prunes into the chocolate, submerging it completely. Remove it from the chocolate and drag the bottom along the lip of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and, if desired, sprinkle the top with crushed nuts while the chocolate is still wet.
5. Repeat the dipping with the remaining prunes and chocolate. Once all of the prunes are on the baking sheet, refrigerate it for 30 minutes to set the chocolate, then serve. Store Polish Chocolate Plums in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.