Dont skimp on the garlic here, the gentle simmering in the slow cooker with transform them in a mellow and smooth taste.
Non stick cooking spray
1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts and thighs
8 or 9 ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
½ chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon cold water
Lemon wedges (optional)
1. Coat an unheated large non-stick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat.
2. Brown chicken, half at a time, in hot skillet.
3. In a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker combine frozen artichoke hearts, onion, and garlic.
4. In a small bowl combine chicken broth, rosemary, lemon peel, and pepper. Pour over vegetables in slow cooker.
5. Add browned chicken; spoon some of the artichoke mixture over the chicken.
6. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and artichokes to a serving platter, reserving cooking liquid. Cover chicken and artichokes with foil; keep warm.
8. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting.
9. For sauce, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and the cold water. Stir into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until slightly thickened.
10. Spoon sauce over chicken and artichokes. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.