Southwestern seasonings make this a flavorful casserole the whole family will enjoy.
* 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
* 1 cup thinly sliced celery
* 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers, or diced mild chile peppers
* 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (about 12 to 15 ounces) corn with peppers, drained
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Dash pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 4 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish (2 1/2 to 3 quart size). Heat oven to 350°.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef, breaking up, and the onions and celery. Cook, stirring, until beef is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and peppers; cook, stirring, for about 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin.
In the prepared baking dish, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, then top with half of the corn and ground beef mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.