Here's a BBQ sauce that uses a little trick of adding equal parts of water to the recipe. This tends to keep the sauce from burning off on the grill. Produces a wonderful shiny glace on the meat.
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 5 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* Salt to taste
* 1/4 cup dark rum
* 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
* 1 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 cups water
* 2 cups ketchup
* 1/2 cup molasses
* 1/2 cup cider vinegar
* 2 teaspoons hot sauce
1. Heat the oil in a large saucpan.
2. Add the garlic, onion, green pepper and a large pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the rum and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Add the the chili powder, black pepper, allspice and cloves. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
5. Add the brown sugar, water, ketchup, molasses, vinegar and hot sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
6. Transfer to a food processor and puree. Season with salt to taste.
May be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.