A variety of sweet peppers make this meatloaf flavorful and attractive.
* 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
* 1/2 pound ground pork, or use more ground beef
* 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup
* 1/4 cup beef broth
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium sweet yellow or orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon herb and garlic seasoning or other salt-free seasoning blend
* 3/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
* 1/2 cup beef broth
* 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
* few drops Worcestershire sauce
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* dash Cajun seasoning
Heat oven to 350°.
Combine meat loaf ingredients; blend well. Pack into a large lightly greased loaf pan or shape into a loaf and put in a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Pour off excess fat and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; whisk to blend ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil, stirring, for 2 minutes. Spoon over sliced meat loaf.