November 8, 2009
Pizza Pie Pizzazz
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Serves: 8
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1-1/2 lbs. bulk Italian sausage
* 4 oz. pepperoni slices, chopped
* 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
* 3 cups (24 oz.) Italian sausage pasta sauce
* 1 pkg (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
* 2 Tbsp. cornmeal, divided
* 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends™ Shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese, divided
* 2 (9-inch) pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a heavy skillet, heat oil and brown sausage, pepperoni and garlic, about 10 minutes. Remove excess liquid from skillet. Add pasta sauce and mushrooms. Simmer 15 minutes on low heat. Fold in 1 tablespoon cornmeal and 1-1/2 cups cheese; set aside to cool slightly.
3. Place one crust in a deep 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal on bottom of crust and top with remaining cheese. Add meat mixture and cover with the remaining pie crust. Seal and flute edges of crust. Make 6 small slits in top crust .
4. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.