Prep Time: 1.5 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan, large skillet, stock pot
- 2 pounds lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces pepperoni - sliced
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion - diced
- Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 5 cloves garlic - crushed
- 6 cups Roma tomatoes - skinned and diced
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves - chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano - chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
* Preheat oven to 375° F.
* Cook pasta noodles according to package directions.
* Remove noodles from water when finished cooking and lay them out on paper towels.
* In a skillet saute the pepperoni over medium heat until crispy, approximately 3-4 minutes.
* Remove and drain on a paper towel.
* Wipe out the skillet and add the hamburger and sausage with 1/2 cup of the onion.
* Cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender.
* Drain on a paper towel.
* For the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
* Add the onion and cook over medium heat until translucent.
* Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
* Then add the tomatoes and cook over low heat 1/2 hour.
* Add basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour.
* Season with salt and pepper.
* Cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
* In a baking pan, pour one cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom and spread it out to cover.
* Then layer 3-4 noodles on the sauce, overlapping slightly.
* Top with 1/3 cup of ricotta, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 of the sausage and hamburger, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
* Top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of the pepperoni.
* Repeat layers 2 more times.
* On the very top layer, finish with a layer of the remaining ricotta cheese, tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni.
* Sprinkle all over with Parmesan cheese.
* Bake 40-45 minutes or until the top is bubbly and lightly browned.
* Remove from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.