Everyone likes eggplant when you taste it in this savory pie. If you have eggplant in the garden or can get it at the market, I'd recommend this recipe. If the eggplant is large and the skin seems tough, its a good idea to peel it first. -Audrey Nemeth Chesterville, Maine
4-6 Servings Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
* 2 cups cubed eggplant
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 3/4 pound ground beef
* 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
* 1/2 to 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
* In a small skillet, saute eggplant in butter until tender, about 5
* minutes. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and garlic
* over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the
* eggplant, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to
* a boil. Remove from the heat.
* Prick pastry shell with a fork. Add beef mixture. Bake at 375°
* for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or
* until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
* Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 368 calories, 24 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
found on Taste of Home