2 pie crusts - unbaked (store bought or homemade) Pie Crust recipe
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
3 Tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees, place oven rack in middle position.
2. Place chicken and broth in a pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer 10 min.
3. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate bowl.
4. Place oil in the stock pot, turn heat to medium high.
5. Add the carrots, onion and celery. Saut� until just tender (about 5 min.). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Shred the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces, then place the cooked vegetables into the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
7. Heat the butter in the empty stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook 1 minute.
8. Whisk in the chicken broth, milk and thyme. Bring to a simmer, continuing to simmer until sauce thickens (about 1 min.). Season with salt and pepper, stir in the sherry.
9. Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetables mixture, stir well. Stir in the peas.
10. Line a 9x13 inch pan with one of the pie crusts. Roll the dough to fit the pan.
11. Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and top with second crust.
12. Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.