Steak and pepper salad recipe, made with steak, beans, peppers, sweet onions, and an easy balsamic dressing.
- olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch thick slices
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut in 1-inch thick slices
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces top loin or beef sirloin steak, about 1 inch thickness, fat trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 cups torn iceberg or Boston lettuce leaves
Put about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and cook, stirring, just until tender-crisp. Stir in onion until onion is browned and peppers are tender. Remove vegetables to a bowl and set aside. Sprinkle steak with the salt. In the same skillet, in another 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cook steak for about 5 minutes on each side, or until done as you like it. Remove to a cutting board and slice thinly. Add kidney beans to the drippings and cook just until beans are warm; spoon over steak and peppers and remove skillet from heat. Combine the black pepper, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar; add to the skillet. Add another 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet mixture and blend well. Place lettuce in a large salad bowl and top with the bean, steak, and pepper mixture. Drizzle the warm dressing over the salad. Toss to serve.