"This hearty three-bean soup is very easy to fix," remarks Sharon Thompson of Hunter, Kansas. "You can add a can of green chilies if you like it hotter. I increase the amount of tomatoes and beans for large church get-togethers."
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a soup kettle, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in the
- water, beans, tomatoes and salsa. Bring to a boil. reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring
- occasionally. Garnish with sour cream, cheese and olives if desired.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.