|1||lb||Cheddar cheese, grated|
|1||lb||Good quality pork sausage (Bob Evans recommended)|
|2||C||Baking mix (Like Bisquick®)|
|1||jar (10 oz)||Jalapeno pepper slices|
|1||env||Shake-n-Bake for pork (original)|
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the cheese and sausage until well blended. You really need to use your hands to do this well. Add the baking mix and mix well.
- Remove about 50 slices of jalapeno pepper from the jar, shake off the liquid and set on paper towels to absorb excess liquid.
- To form each Armadillo Ball, take a chunk of the dough mixture about the size of a whole walnut, maybe a little bigger. Pat it into a flat patty. Place a slice of jalapeno pepper in it. Fold up the edges around the pepper and seal well. Roll into a ball between your hands, pressing firmly.
- After all the balls have been formed, pour the Shake-n-Bake into a small bowl. Roll the balls in it and place on a cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 325 for 20 - 25 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. These are good served hot, warm or room temperature. Yield: about 50 balls.
To freeze: Freeze before baking by placing them on a cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet in the freezer until the balls are solid. Then pour into freezer bags for storage. Bake them frozen (they may take an additional 5 minutes).