Slow Cooker: 4 to 5 quart.
Prep: 15 mins. Cook time: low 8 hours,
Finishing Cook time: low 15 mins.
1 lb. beef boneless chuck
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
3 C. 1-inch cubes peeled sweet potatoes
2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
2 whole cloves
1 dried bay leaf
1 stick cinnamon
1 large onion, cut into eighths
1 can (28 oz) Italian style pear shaped tomatoes, undrained
8 dried apricots, cut in half
Chopped fresh parsley
Remove excess fat from beef. Cut beef into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown.
Mix beef and remaining ingredients except apricots and parsley in 4 to 5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 8 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in apricots.
Cover and cook on low heat setting about 15 minutes or until apricots are softened. Discard cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with parsley.
serve over fluffy cooked couscous.
September 25, 2010
The mango hails from Asia, but is today grown in many other parts of the world where the climate is tropical or subtropical and you can choose among more than 1,000 different cultivars. In many Asian cultures the mango is very highly regarded and it is for instance common to use mango leaves as decorations during Hindu religious ceremonies and wedding celebrations. Mango is the official fruit of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the Philippines.
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 lime
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 plum tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro(about 1/4 cup when chopped)
- Minced fresh ginger root (about one 1 tablespoon when chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Combine olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper and chili flakes in a shallow baking dish.
- Rinse the tilapia fillets and pat them dry.
- Place the fillets in the baking dish with the olive oil mixture and coat them well on both sides.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake until the fillets can be flaked easily with a fork. This will normally take around 10-12 minutes.
- While the fish is baking, prepare the mango sauce according to the instructions below.
- Place the tilapia fillets on serving plates and spoon over mango sauce. Serve immediately.
- Zest and juice the lime and place zest and juice in a glass bowl.
- Peel, seed and slice the mango.
- Peel, pit and dice the avocado.
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Seed the japaneo pepper and chop it finely.
- Peel, seed and chop the tomatoes.
- Chop the cilantro.
- Mince the ginger root.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl where the lime juice and the zest is.
- Combine all ingredients and add the salt.
- Leave in room temperature until the tilapia fillets are ready.