4 large shell steak, about 1 1/2 inches thick
1/2 lb parma prosciutto
1/2 lb aged provolone cheese
1/2 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (recipe follows)
1 cup minced shallot
3 tablespoons butter
1 bottle ruby port (must be ruby port, other types of port won’t work)
1 1/2 cups dry red wine (merlot, zinfandel work well)
1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef broth or beef stock
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 large portabella mushroom cap, sliced into strips
3/4 cup butter
2 cups packed basil leaves
1/3 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
1 clove chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
1/2-3/4 cup reconstituted sun-dried tomato (dried tomatoes soaked 30 minutes in hot water, then drained and patted dry)
For Merlot Caramelized Onions
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large onion, sliced
2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
1 cup merlot or dry red wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
1. In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan, sauté the shallots in butter over medium high heat for about 3 minutes.
2. Add ruby port and dry red wine and boil 5 minutes.Add beef broth and rosemary and boil until reduced to about 2/3 cup (45 min.- 1 hr).
3. Strain and set aside.Slice each steak in the center of one edge to form a large pocket, like a pita bread.
4. Smear about 2 Tb sun dried tomato pesto in each pocket, then stuff with 2 slices of provolone and 3-4 slices prosciutto.
5. Keep the stuffed steaks together with toothpicks.
6. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, sauté the mushroom slices in 1/2 stick of butter, adding more butter as needed (mushrooms should be cooked through and dark).Set aside.
7. Preheat oven to 375.Place a large pan or dish in the oven large enough to hold the steaks.
8. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet and brown steaks on both sides.Move the steaks to the pan in the oven and cook until desired doneness.
8. The skillet should contain brown bits from the meat, which contain a lot of flavor.
9. To the skillet from step 5, add strained sauce and cook on low, stirring to get the brown bits up from the bottom of the skillet, 3-4 minutes.
10. Add mushrooms and cook another 1-2 minutes.Remove from heat, stir in several Tbsp cold butter (adjust texture of sauce), season with salt and pepper.
11. To serve, create a bed of merlot caramelized onions (see below) on a plate.Place steak on the onions and pour sauce over the steak.
12. To make Sun dried Tomato Pesto: Finely chop basil, pignoli, salt and garlic in a food processor.With the processor running, add oil in a slow steady stream.
13. Add tomatoes to taste (puree until fine).Transfer to bowl and fold in cheese.
14. To make Merlot Caramelized Onions: Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium high heat.Add onions and cook until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
15. Reduce heat to medium, add sugar and sauté 5 minutes.Increase heat, add wine and vinegar and boil until almost no liquid remains.
16. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.