3-1/2 pounds beef chuck roast
1 cup water
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1. Place the roast into a slow cooker along with the water. Cover, and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until beef can be easily shredded with a fork.
2. Shred the beef, removing fat as you go. Remove 1/2 cup of the broth from the slow cooker, and reserve for later.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, honey, salt, pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper and garlic. Stir into the shredded beef so that the meat is thoroughly coated.
4. Cover, and continue to cook beef on LOW for an additional 4 to 6 hours. Add the reserved broth only if necessary to maintain moisture.
Serve on mini buns, such as King’s Hawaiian rolls and top with cole slaw.
Sweet Cole Slaw
1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons diced onion
2/3 cup creamy salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1. Combine the coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together the salad dressing, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.